AMESA has organised structures in each of the nine provinces of South Africa. In each province there are various branches whose activities are co-ordinated by Provincial Councils. Members participate in the activities of their branch and province and in so doing in the activities of the Association. Through branch and provincial structures, members also make inputs to the various national activities.
Annual General Meeting (AGM):
The governing body of the Association is the Annual General Meeting, which consists of the following members:
- The National Office Bearers (President, Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary) - elected by the AGM
- One representative from each branch, appointed by the branch
- n ÷ 100 (rounded to the next whole number) representatives from each province, appointed by the province, where n is the number of members in good standing in the province.
The National Council is the administrative body of the Association, constituted annually by the Annual General Meeting and consists of the following members:
- The National Office Bearers
- One representative from each province, appointed by the Provincial Council
- Any persons co-opted by Council.
The National Council is responsible for (among other things):
- The management and administration of the affairs of the Association.
- Adopting policy issues of major importance between Annual General Meetings.
- Organising an annual national congress and such other congresses as it deems necessary to promote the aims of the Association.
- Appointing the Editorial Committees of the Association's journals.
Representation on committees
In addition to the national and provincial activities described above, members of the Association represent its interests by serving on various committees, including:
AMESA also has a number of interest groups and committees that include:
- AMESA Curriculum Committee
- National Primary Mathematics working group
- Mathematics Teacher Education interest group
- Problem solving interest group
- Olympiad Forum
- Academic writing and editing interest group